Saturday, June 19, 2010

The Lead

Every good story starts with a solid lead, right?  Well, here's one thing that you need to know about my writing:

I suck at writing a lead.

Actually, that's not true.  I"m actually pretty good, but I can guarantee you it's the last thing that I write.  And, since my background is in TV, sometimes I don't even have to write a lead....I can just let the video and/or sound bite do it for me.  Who says TV reporters aren't real journalists, huh?

Speaking of my background, I should probably introduce myself.  I am a high school journalism adviser who just finished his 8th year of teaching.  Previously, I was in the "real biz*" (a.k.a.-broadcast journalism) for about 14 years or so.  Give or take some internships that involved me getting copy and having to look for the key to the chroma (not kidding).

I;m a proud father of a 6 year old and a 3 year old who, from here on out, will be referred to as Kid1 and Kid2.  Trust me, they'll be involved in this blog more often than you think.

When I'm not teaching, I enjoy reading, playing golf, and running. In fact, I love running so much, I just wrapped up writing my running blog, Running Off at the Mind.  It was a lot of fun and I met a lot of great people, but like many things I felt that it had to come to an end.  There were only so many things that I could write about.on that subject.  A nod to my "Running Buddies" can be found off to the right.  Anywho, I thought I was over my blogging itch, but...well.....here we are.  There's just something about writing that makes things more gooder.

Normally, you should start a blog with a certain focus.  A topic, if you will.  Well, as you'll quickly learn.....I'm not normal.  The main focus will be about the ups and downs of teaching.  However, I can almost guarantee that I'll go off on a tangent about something more often than not.  Sometimes, I even have a point!  Bonus for me AND you!

If you've come here for information, I can't guarantee that.  If you've come here for a laugh, I can't guarantee that either, but I'll give it one helluva shot.  If you've come here thinking you've stumbled on some weird adults only site, I'm not going to guarantee anything NOR will I give it a shot.  Nope, just keep on browsing.

*because apparently teaching isn't a "real biz".  OK, then.

No comments:

Post a Comment